Monday, May 24, 2004

Deciding to Stay

Now that I'm set on staying, the weekend was a very interesting affair.
Deciding to stay means for us, among other things, loosening the purse
strings. We've been at our current location for over 6 years. Long enough
one might think, to know whether it suits one, or not.


So, in addition to building the shed
and shed deck previously mentioned in this blog, we contracted to have
major lot clearing for a portion of our land. It amounted to the removal
1/4 acre of brush, trees, and flammable grasses, an important annual task in our part of the country.
The result was stunning. The view out to the bay from the higher points on
the lot expanded dramatically.


There's an important quality here that I've noticed about this latest acceptance. I felt simultaneously sad (letting go of greener pastures) and elated (cessation of 'moving anxiety'). But, we couldn't continue to live in limbo. The freedom of keeping our options open was simply too dissatisfying. I've learned what Mum & Dad know: a homestead with warts is better than none at all. The famous Goethe quote says:

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now." (cliched? yes, but it has always worked for me.)

So, after six years of false starts, we begin our time here, at the physical location we call Passiams Lodge, now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home